The station was opened in 1856 as part of the Eastern Counties Railway branch to Loughton. The station then formed part of the Great Eastern Railway’s system until that company was merged into the London & North Eastern Railway in 1923. The station was subsequently transferred to form part of London Underground’s Central line from 1947.
The station was partially reconstructed in 1893, the most notable feature being the provision of a bay platform that remained in use until transfer to the Underground.
The station is a fine survivor of a Victorian suburban station, with later additions, and includes a brick built station building as well as extensive cast iron and timber canopies to the platforms.