Although some medical services have been delivered on the site since 1473, the current hospital has its origins in the Small Pox and Vaccination Hospital built in 1848. Independently managed hospitals were founded on the Archway Site and the Highgate Site. In 1946, all three hospitals were brought together. The current hospital has 470 beds. A number of other medical facilities have been incorporated into the Whittington Hospital over the years.